Forum OpenACS Q&A: Postgresql 7.3.2 Released

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
From postgresql.org

The PostgreSQL Global Development Group has released PostgreSQL 7.3.2.

This release addresses several overrun and memory leak issues that were found in recent weeks, so it is highly recommended that those running the 7.3.1 branch upgrade at their earliest convience.

This release is backwards compability to the previous v7.3.x releases, and does not require a dump/restore to upgrade.

Collapse
Posted by Roger Siddle on
As a newcomer to Openacs (having seen the recommendation in the Feb Linux Journal) I have been trying to set up Openacs with Postgresql 7.3.2 and Openacs 4.6.

The aolserver install goes OK and it talks to postgres OK.  I use a browser (links) to connect to the server and get the Openacs Installation: Welcome screen.  No problems reported and I click on the 'Next' button.

It goes into installing the kernel data model, outputs 600 lines of postgres sql responses and then just sits there.  The installation notes say 'Have faith a Next button will appear ..' but not for me!

Is the latest postgresql version compatible with 4.6 or do I need to go back to postgresql 7.2.4 ?

Collapse
Posted by Ola Hansson on
Roger, welcome to OpenACS!

Yes and no. The packages in 4.6 that constitute the "acs-core", i.e., the ones that get installed automatically upon the initial install, should work on 7.3. But you'll probably find that a lot of the other packages won't (due to differences in the timestamp datatype(s) between 7.2 and 7.3).

Since you are new to OpenACS and probably would like to check out some of the other packages, too, I'd recommend PG 7.2. That will certainly give a more stable impression.

Regarding the "Next" button, it may well sit there for 15 minutes depending on you hardware. I'd estimate it takes about 8-10 mins on my K6-3 450, though, before I get the Next button.

If you think something is wrong, drop/recreate your db and try again with "tail -f /path/to/aolserver/error.log" running on the side. If you spot an "Error" in there, post it here and we'll try to help you.

/Ola

Collapse
Posted by Roger Siddle on
Many thanks for the guidance Ola.

I have removed Postgresql 7.3.2 and installed 7.2.4.  The Openacs Installation now runs smoothly and stops at the "OpenACS Installation: Complete" screen.

The installation instructions tell me to restart the server and give it a few minutes to start up - no problem. The next step says:

"Then reload the final page above. You should see the front page, with an area to login near the upper right."
I have tried reloading the page and all I get is:
"The server has encountered an internal server error .."

Checking the error.log I find:
"No script or template found for page '/home/roger/web/sitename/www/default-master'
while executing .. (procedure "template::adp_parse" line 67)
Should I have some sample script in the ../www directory?

Looking further back in the error log there are many packages being loaded, but there are also a lot of notices of the form:
  identifier .. will be truncated to ..
Is this a problem?

All help much appreciated - Roger